Dr. Gayani DeSilva MD
Gayani DeSilva is a Child Adolescent Psychiatrist with 20 years experience. She is the author of A Psychiatrists Guide: Helping Parents Reach Their Depressed Tween, and A Psychiatrists Guide: Stop Teen Addiction Before It Starts.
For several years, we have been giving lip service to the importance of mental health. It has been “someone else problem” and the stigma persisted.
* But now, with COVID-19, and stay in place practices, everyone is not simply thinking about mental health, but they are experiencing it to varying degrees.
* Folks who have “never” had mood issues, or anxiety, and now beginning to know first hand how their mood state can get stuck.
* World-wide we are experiencing a collective traumatic experience. And with traumatic experiences, comes grief, depression, anxiety, and mood disturbance.
was moved by a recent article about an ER doc who committed suicide in New York. And an EMT who killed himself too.
* this tragedy underscores the importance of self care.
* healthcare workers are notorious to overwork, to put other’s needs before their own, and to not take care of themselves.
* Healthcare workers aren’t the only ones who neglect their self care.
* Dr. Breen’s death should be a lesson for us, to take our needs seriously
The TVGuestpert Logo is a Seal of Approval when placed on a Guestpert Profile. It let's you know that we produced the Guestpert's demo and/or results reel separating out those on this site that have not been produced by us.